Friday, February 11, 2011

Update Food Challenge: Shrimp


I couldn't decide which shrimp recipe I wanted to make so I let Josh decide. He chose Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto. It took me a few days to find Gnocchi since Albertsons was out of it but I ended up buying it at Cost Plus World Market. I went with the mini gnocchi since they take only 2-3 minutes to cook. I can't say this recipe was a total winner because both Josh and I weren't a fan of the asparagus in the dish despite how much we love asparagus. We started brainstorming other alternatives like zucchini. Since it only takes minutes to make the gnocchi and shrimp cooks so quickly, this meal was ready within ten minutes. 

Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto
2  quarts plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
1  (16-ounce) package vacuum-packed gnocchi (such as Vigo)
4  cups (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound)
1  pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, coarsely chopped
1  cup basil leaves
2  tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
2  tablespoons preshredded Parmesan cheese
2  teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2  teaspoons bottled minced garlic
4  teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
1/4  teaspoon salt

Preparation
Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add gnocchi to pan; cook 4 minutes or until done (gnocchi will rise to surface). Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon; place in a large bowl. Add asparagus and shrimp to pan; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Drain. Add shrimp mixture to gnocchi.

Combine remaining 1 tablespoon water, basil, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides. Drizzle oil through food chute with food processor on; process until well blended. Add salt and basil mixture to shrimp mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Recipe found at MyRecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. Asparagus & basil does seem like an odd combination. I love both separately, though. Gnocchi w/ red sauce is one of our fall-back weeknight dinners because we always have the ingredients in the pantry and it is ready to eat so quickly. I buy mine at World market too...cheapest & best gnocchis in Kitsap that I've found.

    ReplyDelete